10 Definitions of Social Media in 140 Characters or Less
If you’re looking to get into social media marketing one of the first things you will probably wonder is, What the heck is social media?
We’ve tried answering that in previous posts, however, in the spirit of social media, specifically Twitter. I put together a list of definitions of social media in 140 characters or less.
If you have your own to add feel free to tweet @socialmedjobhq with your definitions in 140 characters or less.
1. “Media in digital format that can be created by anyone and shared easily across the web with opportunity for open dialogue.” – Sean McDonald, Oct. 2008
2. “Social media is what happens when people use their innate ability to be social and spread the word about a topic, typically using the internet.” – Rachel Levy, Oct.2008
3. “Social Media is the media created online through social networks.” – Jacinda [comment], Sept. 2009
4. “…Internet media that has the ability to interact with it in some way.” – Robert Scoble, Feb. 2007
5. “Social media is conversation in print – through blogs, electronic tools like Facebook, Twitter, and a vast array of other online electronic platforms.” – David from Marketing Integrity.
6. “Social media are online communications in which we shift instantly and easily between the role of audience and creator – without needing to know how to code.” Joe Thornley, Feb. 2011
7. “Social media is the term commonly given to Internet and mobile-based channels and tools that allow users to interact with each other and share opinions and content.
As the name implies, social media involves the building of communities or networks and encouraging participation and engagement.” – CIPR.uk.co, Social Media Best Practices Guide, April. 2011
8. “…news and opinions that influence us(media), from (or through) people we have a relationship with (social)…” – Simon Young [comment], April. 2011
9. “Social media are the content and connection that join people online and offline. SM Marketing is the activation of this dynamic to drive a business objective.” – Jon Burg [comment], Nov. 2010
10. “Any tool or service that uses the internet to facilitate conversations.” – Brian Solis, Jan. 2010
Okay, so maybe not all the definitions are 140 characters or less, but you get the idea. Social Media is a concept much like management where the definition can vary based on experiences, how it is perceived and used.
What’s you definition of social media?
961 total views, 1 today